Seven Cakes for a #FikaParty
The Scandinavian tradition of fika transforms an ordinary coffee break into a proper pause in the day when people stop work and get together with others for a chat over a coffee and something sweet to eat.
Cake is so synonymous with fika that many Scandinavian cookery books and websites provide countless recipes for all kinds of home baked cakes, buns and shortbreads for serving at coffee parties.
The etiquette of the Scandinavian coffee party once encouraged hosts to offer no fewer than seven sweet things ‘sju småkakor’ and Sweden’s classic baking cookbook, ‘Sju Sorters Kakor ‘, even takes its name from this custom.
The interest in home baking is seeing a revival of baking for social occasions and people want ideas for serving lots of different cakes and bakes. We’ve selected seven of our favourites, perfect for hosting a #fikaparty:
1. Tosca Cake (Toscakaka) – a classic favourite in Sweden and Finland (thought to have been named for Puccini’s opera) this buttery, soft sponge cake has a crunchy, caramel almond topping.
2. Upside-down blueberry cake – this spectacular upside-down cake is as dark as the midnight sky, yet the heady aroma of the blueberries make it reminiscent of a Scandinavian summer
3. Tiger Cake – this stripy vanilla and chocolate marble cake is made more striking because we bake ours in a bundt tin.
4. Mud Cake (called Kladdkaka in Sweden) – this dense, sticky chocolate cake is similar to brownies and is said to be Sweden’s favourite …it’s one of our favourites too.
5. Ginger Cake – every home cook in Scandinavia has their own ginger cake recipe, often passed down through the generations. Our version is baked with aromatic ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
6. Oat and Forest Berries Cake – a beautifully moist cake that is perfect served at a brunch time fika. The oats lend a different dimension topped with a generous layer of blueberries and raspberries.
7. Boston cake – our much loved cinnamon buns, made into a celebratory cake.
We hope that this will inspire you to hold your own #FikaParty.
A #FikaParty box with a slice of each cake will be available from the 4th – 10th of April in all our stores.